We are available to help you. Contact Us
PR – Permanent Resident is the status given to a person by immigrating to Canada but they are not entitled with Canadian Citizenship. PR is the citizens of other countries.
Person who is on a student visa or on a work permit is not a Permanent Resident. The status will be changed after filing the necessary documents at a given period.
Many overseas candidates taking shelter as Refugees can become Permanent Resident by applying under Government-Approved Refugee Program or via Private Sponsorship of Refugee Program.To get a PR claim, applicants have to get approval of the claim from the Immigration and Refugee Board. After the approval they can apply for the claim and can become PR.
The benefit of getting a PR card is to validate your stay in Canada which you have to present as and when asked by the authorities. In case, you are travelling outside Canada and on return you need to show your card.
On the contrary, if you are travelling outside Canada and do not have a valid PR card then you need to apply for a PR travel document before landing in Canada.
PR gives you right to:
- Get most of the social benefits that Canadian citizens receive like; Canadian Government Health Insurance benefits, free child education, senior citizen unemployment and many more..
- Live, work or study anywhere in Canada,
- Chance to apply for Canadian citizenship,
- Protection under Canadian law
Things a PR cannot do:
You are not allowed to:
- Vote or run for political office,
- Hold some jobs that need a high-level security clearance.